World of Linux Distros
The Sabayon Linux live DVD distribution, based on the unstable branch of Gentoo Linux, has been in development for several years and caters to a wide variety of users. Having started out with a beautiful but mainstream appearance, it now boasts one of the most unique looks in Linux and more usability options than most other distros. The distribution offers premium open source games, accelerated desktop effects, a large and varied software suite, and several variations. Besides the full release, Sabayon also comes in a Business Edition and usually a Mini edition. With all it has to offer, Sabayon has something for everyone.
The Sabayon Linux 3.4 was released last month in a 4.2GB package available via FTP, torrent downloads, and direct purchase. The minimum requirements for the live DVD are an i686 processor and 256MB RAM (512 recommended).
Sabayon's boot screen offers users a variety of choices. Besides the options of language, keymap, screen resolution, and another menu full of other modes and options, you can pick:
- Start SabayonLinux 3.4 -- boots the normal system, including accelerated graphic drivers and your choice of Compiz Fusion or Metisse (with supported Nvidia or ATI graphics chip).
- Start without Music -- disables music during boot.
- Anonymous Internet Browsing -- purports to enable anonymous browsing (see below).
- Start Graphical Installation -- boots to Fluxbox and starts graphical installer.
- Start Text Installation -- boots the system and starts console-based installer.
- XsistenCe (Persistent Home) -- allows you to save personal configuration settings and files on a USB drive for future use.
- Play with Sauerbraten (Game) -- boots directly into the game.
- Play with Savage (Game) -- boots directly into the game.
For more information visit http://www.sabayonlinux.org/